Great photos are pieces of art. But nowadays even the best photo with amazing color gets only a few seconds of glance. People keep scrolling on social media, where there are thousands of photos to view.
With some creative editing, you can give your images extra magic which will hold everyone’s attention! By using Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter, you can take images to the next level and stand out in the crowd. Moreover, sketches and drawings make for amazing gifts for your friends and family. You can even use such pencil sketches to practice your own drawing and painting skills!
Let us learn how to turn any photo into a realistic sketch within seconds.
SoftOrbits Photo to Sketch Converter makes it easy to create a drawing from a photo. You will get options to control things like shading, edges, colors, intensity of the detailing used and much more.
How to Turn Your Photos into Pencil Sketches
And the best part is that you don’t need to be a sketch artist yourself! Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter detects the outlines and colors of the photo on its own and shows a live preview, so you can see the changes while editing.
Here are the steps you can follow!
Install Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter on your computer and open it. You will see an Add File option which can be used to upload the image to be edited. You may drag and drop the photo too.
Select sketch style
Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter will show you a toolbox on the right. It contains the different styles and presets you can use to create a drawing, and other settings to control the color, intensity etc.
There are three styles offered – Realistic, Detailed and Classic. Let us learn a little about them in brief!
Realistic Style: This style works well for most photos, since it balances detailed shading with a minimal look. It is great if you want to retain the light and shadows from the photo, but do not want a lot of complex hatching and lines.
Detailed Style: Detailed style will focus on converting almost every pixel of your image into a sketch, without leaving any blank space. For example, this style will change detailed areas like trees and hair of a person into a detailed sketch. Even white areas will be given some light shading here!
Classic Style: Classic style is perhaps the closest to a simple pencil sketch. It is great for portraits, since it keeps the outline and features of the face, but does not add unnatural details or shading. Classic is great for making line drawings with a soft look!
Select the preset
While the style decides the overall look of the photo, the preset will control the shading and colors used, like a filter for selfies. All the three styles contain many presets each!
For example, Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter gives you effects like felt-tip pen, pastel, color drawing, expressive and much more. We will discuss a few important presets in the next section.
Adjust the final settings
After you have selected the style and preset for your photo, you can make fine changes to the contour, edges and shading of the sketch. These options are available in the toolbox itself!
We will go through these settings later.
After all the adjustments are complete, simply click on the Run button. Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter will convert your image, which you can then save!
Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter’s smart algorithms help you create the perfect pencil sketch. With more than a dozen presets available, you will always find the one which works perfectly for your image.
Ho to use A.I. Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter
1. Light brown: Like the name suggests,1. the Light Brown preset will give you a sketch which looks like it’s been made with a HB pencil. It works well for still life and simple nature photos, since the light brown color feels very natural and rustic.
In this section we’ll go through a few of the best ones!
2. High Contrast: High contrast effect will give you a black and white sketch with bold black lines and shading. If there are any white areas, this preset will give it a light grey shade, and dark areas will be completely black.
3. Expressive: One of the most colorful presets, Expressive creates a colored sketch with lots of small details and lines, instead of general shading. It suits most photos since it matches a detailed pencil sketch closely, without looking artificial.
4. Pen: The pen preset becomes very useful if you want to practice your drawing skills. Since it mimics the look of a pen, the lines are thicker and easier to trace. It works well for simple photos that do not have a lot of details, as the focus goes to the strong outlines instead of the shading and hatching.
5. Schematic: With the highest contrast level, the Schematic preset creates a completely black and white sketch without any shading. You can use this if you want a completely white background with only bold outlines.
6. Pop Art: Probably the preset that suits all types of images, Pop Art creates a colored sketch with very thin, fine lines. This effect resembles lightly-colored sketches made with pencil very accurately, and does not look like something created by software.
Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter offers complete control over the process, and you will be able to control the type of shading used, texture, intensity and the colors used.
Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter: additional options
1. Contour: Contour settings affect the outlines and detailing in the photo. If you click on Enable, you can adjust the Edge Strength, Smudging, Intensity and Strokes. Moving the Edge Strength slider to the right will increase the level of details, and moving it to the left will decrease it. Increasing the Smudging will blend the lines with the background and give a paintbrush-type look. Adjusting the stroke settings will change the length and thickness of the lines used to create for the drawing.
Right below the Style and Preset options, you will see 3 other settings – Contour, Hatching and Colorize.
2. Hatching: Hatching refers to the crisscross pattern used for shading. Increasing the edge strength here increases the amount of hatching in outlines, while increasing curvature increases the hatching in areas of detail. Midtone intensity affects the shading in parts which are neither very light nor very dark. You can even reverse the direction and look of the strokes used using the dropdown options.
3. Colorize: You can enable Colorize to add color to a black and white sketch. There are two options under Colorize – Normalize Histogram and Color Shift. By clicking on Color Shift, you can choose which color will be used for the sketch.
If you want a quick solution for which no software needs to be downloaded, you can use the PhotoFunia website online.
Windows 11 comes with a Microsoft app store that contains many photo editors. One of the apps designed to convert photos into sketches is the Pencil Photo Sketch Maker.
Free Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter for Windows 11, 10
It is available for free and contains options like black and white sketch, colored sketch, adding stickers and writing text over the photo.
Although it contains a few extra filters and the option to doodle over the image, the actual conversion is not always natural and realistic here. SoftOrbits Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter is a more advanced program, and can generate sketches which look more natural.
Also, Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter contains more options for customization and provides control over the shading and strokes used, along with more than a dozen presets. Pencil Sketch Photo Maker does not let you adjust important settings like edge strength, stroke thickness and colors used.
While Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter is designed for your computer, there are sketch apps designed for your smartphone. There are many free apps available with different styles of pencil drawings, like the Pencil Drawing Art for Android phones.
Smartphone Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter Apps
In this section, we will quickly compare Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter with Pencil Drawing Art, so that you can see which one is best for you!
Photo to Pencil Sketch Converter
Pencil Drawing Art
|Advanced program designed to work on your computer||Free app for Android smartphones|
|Let’s you choose between 3 styles and apply presets like felt-tip pen, schematic, color drawing, high contrast, pop art etc.||Contains only presets like soft pencil, dark pencil, color sketch, red and blue sketch, comic etc.|
|Offers more control through settings for contour, hatching and color||Presets cannot be customized, and only a few effects offer control over the intensity|
|Cannot add text or stickers||Allows you to add text and stickers or draw over the image within the app itself|